4. If you went to school, where and what did you study? CA State Sacramento, Communication Studies.
5. Where else have you worked? KCRA, KNTV, KOVR, KOCO (Oklahoma City), KFSN (Fresno).
6. What other job titles have you had in your career? Assignment Editor, Assignment Manager, CA Capitol Bureau Chief, Executive News Producer, Assistant News Director.
7. How did you decide on your profession? I wanted to originally do something sports related, but after doing an internship at KOVR in 1994 I realized I loved the news side more.
8. If you didn't work in Television, Arts and Sciences, what would you be doing? Probably something in criminal justice.
9. What do you love about your market? The proximity to so many wonderful places like Yosemite, the coast, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Sacramento.
10. What do you enjoy most about our industry? Telling stories that make a positive impact on the community.
11. What do you think is the key to professional success? Challenging myself to continually keep learning new things.
12. When do you wake up on a workday? On a weekend? On a workday, 6:30 a.m. On a weekend, 7 a.m.
13. Favorite social media platform? Twitter for work, Instagram for family.
14. Any awards, recognition or accolades you’re proud of? I’m proud of a little statuette I and the entire staff of KCRA received in 1997 for our continuing flood coverage after a major storm on Jan. 1.
15. What’s something you know now that you wish you knew at the beginning of your career? Moving away from home earlier would have helped me in the long term. Don’t be afraid to leave the nest.
16. How would your colleagues describe you in 3 words? Disciplined, focused, dedicated.
17. Where did you grow up? Grass Valley (about an hour northeast of Sacramento).
18. Tell us about your loved ones. I lost my dear wife Karyn to cancer in 2016. I had to raise my 5 kids by myself until I met and married again in 2021.
19. Do you have any pets? Two labs, and my youngest daughter just got a hamster.
20. Favorite hobby? Watching baseball.
4317 Camden Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94403-5007
Copyright 2023 NATAS San Francisco / Northern California.
All rights reserved.